Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Breaking the Rules

When it comes to my children and how I raise them, I have my own set of "rules."  It's not that what anyone else does it wrong, it's just hings I wouldn't do, just for me personally.  Like, my daughter was exclusively breastfed until the ago of nine months and then had a bottle until the morning after she turned one.  She also lost her pacifier on the same day.  She never had a happy meal until she was at least three and never a carbonated beverage or tea until four or five.  And candy, she was probably about five or older when she got candy, except Halloween of course.


She was always a wonderful baby, going along with the flow of everything.  Never missed the bottle and only about three nights of crying when I took her pacifier away.  Let's face it, she was just down right easy.  I would see people with children out places and see pictures posted on Facebook and I had the, never me mentality, until my "special" son came along.  Then my mindset really changed.

The bottle, he threw down three days before he turned one, so yay that was one fight I wouldn't have to have.  Then the pacifier... well, I tried taking it away on his first birthday.  That lasted about a week, when all his teeth decided to finally come in all at one time.  I caved and gave it back.  I did take it for good at fourteen months.  Happy Meals, well that just started about two months ago, when he was twenty months old, not three years like his sister.  I know it's not good for him, but he eats so much "sharing" just doesn't work.  My rule on soft drinks and tea, yeah well as I type this he's in the chair beside me sharing my McDonald's sweet tea.  How can I say no to my baby blue who is using sign language to say, "more drink please?"  Could you?  Ok, so maybe you could, but I can't, I cave.

Now, the leashes for kids that I'm SO against because it's like treating children like dogs in my opinion.  Well let's just say I have thought about getting one for my little man since he started walking at ten months old.  I am a lot older now that I was when I had my daughter, my energy is not what it was then and let's face it, his energy and drive to go is WAY out of this world.  Have I gotten one?  No, not just yet, but I have a feeling I will sometime soon.

Candy?  Well, he did so well at speech therapy today learning to sign a new word, "help" that his therapist gave him a sucker, which was fine with me, he loves suckers.  Then I ran to the bank to make a deposit for my mom and she gave him yet another sucker.  So, what does this mommy with rules do?  She unwraps it and hands it right to him.  Yeah, I guess after trying for a baby for five years and being told our daughter was it and then being surprised with the wonderful blessing of our son and then him turning out to be "special," I break the rules.  Of course we break them together.  My daughter and son are treated the same, they get the same love, the same attention because we love them the same amount, it's just different.

I guess rules are made to be broken...
Photobucket

5 comments :

  1. We ended up getting a harness for our very mobile 13 month old. Best idea ever! Do I get weird stares? Yeah, but she's happier walking around, and when I'm out by myself attempting to shop its impossible with out the harness because she's so adventurous and inquisitive. You just gotta do what's going to let you stay sane, and keep them happy and safe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I was just so against them thinking it's like a dog leash, but this go around, it may be the best way to keep up with my son and keep him within arms reach.

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Nothing that you do that keeps mommy sane is breaking a rule. You are just adapting the rules to your current needs and situation! LOL. My girls are twins, and I had to have 2 entirely different sets of rules for each of them, because what worked for one, NEVER worked for the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! New follower from Monday Mingle! I love that you break the rules! As a mom, you do what you need to do..and it's going to end up being different from one kid to the next, that's what keeps life interesting!
    www.cassandrazcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, I'm following you back.

      xoxo

      Delete

Comments help me get to know you better, thanks for leaving your thoughtful thoughts. Have a blessed day! xoxo